Thursday, July 19, 2012

You Are Not A Dog.

Well, most of us aren't

              How many times have I said "hmmmm. I did well this week. I think I'm going to eat something bad as a reward." Too many times. Then I saw something on Pinterest. ( Yes I am one of those women that will be on there for hours, don't judge) It said  " DON'T REWARD YOURSELF WITH FOOD, YOU ARE NOT A DOG." It was as if a light bulb went off. Something so simple and obvious and yet I had not grasped it until it was right in front of my face.
                   

            Now food and I have a lovely relationship. I love it. It loves me back in all the wrong places. I used to have no problem with going to patisserie ( the part of bakery where they make all the super sweet desserts) and getting a piece of cheese cake when i was having a bad day. And now they even have a brownie cheese cake. I could talk about the wonders of food for hours. How it makes us feel better and how something warm and carb-full like mac and cheese or mashed potatoes are better than a hug on some days. But guess what? It doesnt really help.
                 

            I know I am an emotional eater. I'm okay with it. I just control it. Easier said than done, I know, but once I realized it, it was much easier to not buy that piece of cake. It was the same thing with rewarding myself with food. If I had a great workout I would be bad and eat something I know I probably shouldn't and it would completely cancel out my workout if not do more damage. Now I know better.
              

            So what do I reward myself with? It helps to have rewards and goals. Well with the game my reward is a prize. We picked that the winners get bought a gift card to where ever they want from the losing team. I picked Sephora. I plan on crushing the competition and stacking up many gift cards and go on a little shopping spree ( insert evil laugh). But besides that I pick other things. My most recent reward was to get a nape piercing. A what? you say. Well the nape is the back of the neck. Yes I can hear your fascination and disgust all at once. It's not that bad.
              

             I just so happen to be a tattooed and pierced chick with the attitude to match, when I want it to anyway. So when it came to what I was going to choose as a prize to myself I thought about something I wanted that wasn't food and that was actually attainable. My nape came to mind. So I made a deal with myself. If in one week I could get my weight back into pre-vacation range then I would get it done. Well you better believe that one week later I was back to my pre-vacation range.

My fresh new additions. A little Frankenstein or so I'm told
     
      I know, it isn't for everyone. But find something that works for you. Whether its a manicure or some alone time or whatever. Feel free to Reward yourself just don't make it seem like you're Lassie when you do.

No comments: