Monday, July 30, 2012

I Didn't Know Squash Was A Fish

                      





                  The great joy of working with the public is that at the end of the day we all get together and compare notes. Sometimes you are yelled at, or hit on, or just ignored all day. But by far the best thing is when someone says something ridiculous. I had just such a moment yesterday.
                     

       I work at the seafood counter. So all of our fish are nicely laid out on trays with little signs in front of them stating what they each are and color coded to tell you if they are organic, farm raised, or wild. Very simple stuff. Well recently we have written on our case windows that we recommend summer squash blend. The sign was in front of a tray with flounder on it. One of my customers proceeds to look at the case and announce very loudly "I didn't know squash was a fish."


       I looked at her as blankly as possible and said "It's not." I then had to explain to her that we were simply recommending it as a possible side to your meal. She then walked away and I know my face was no longer blank.  Really? REALLY? Do you not know what squash is? Do you not know what fish is? I was dumbfounded. Everyone else at the counter just looked at me as if to say "Did that just happen?" Yes, yes that just happened.


     As a member of the public service force I beg you please think before you speak. While you help bring entertainment to our lives you also are the main cause of aspirin consumption.

           Now you may be saying "Aliya, that's mean." Well let me tell you I used to think that way. And then almost 7 years have gone by where I have worked in retail. You learn that sometimes it's the only way to get through the day without killing someone. I have many similar stories from my friends. A friend of mine was demoing some vegetable corn chowder. A customer asked what was in it. So she rattles off the ingredients which included eggplant. The customer then says she is allergic and can't have any. "You're allergic to eggplant? I'm allergic to eggs. Oh, then you can have some. No, I know that eggplant is where eggs come from." I believe this was followed with a very similar face to my own. So in the epic debate of What came first the chicken or the egg? The answer is really neither, the eggplant came first.


Eggplants Make Eggs

      


           Another favorite of mine is when a customer asked for live lobster tails. We explained that we had live lobsters and frozen lobster tails but no live lobster tails. She got upset and stormed off. How could we possibly have live lobster tails without the rest of the lobster?????


           










    Even the fish look shocked










                  So yes, when you say something or do something stupid at the store we see you. Sometimes you think we aren't paying attention, but we are. We are trained to pay attention without being obvious so that you don't feel pressured to buy anything but at the moment right when you have decided what you want we are at your side ready to serve you. Next time I am taking care of you and you say something silly I will simply smile and continue to do my job but I won't forget.

No comments: